How To Care For Your Conservatory Furniture The Right Way
Conservatories are very popular home extensions in the UK because adding one to your property can give you the chance to enjoy the benefits of the glorious summer months without leaving the comfort of your home. Furthermore, contemporary conservatories are even more utilised by families these days as the continuous development in our time has allowed these home extensions to be used all year round. This is a clever way to add space to your home whether as a sunroom, a guest room, a parlour, or perhaps an office.
Remember to protect your furnishings this summer as continued exposure to sunlight can cause damage to your furniture especially with the sun and heat at full strength. We gathered some tips below on how you can take care of your conservatory furniture, not just this summer but all throughout the year:
It is a good idea to opt for wood furniture for your conservatory, which keeps it a natural, cool interior design. Rattan and cane furniture are popular as they are not only quite durable but also comes in aesthetically pleasing designs. Just bear it in mind that even though resilient, these wood furniture can dry out and may even end up breaking because of prolonged exposure to sunlight. Proper care and maintenance are needed for them to last even longer.
Most people go with cane furniture to outfit a conservatory mainly because this style of furniture is exquisite and fits perfectly with most decor and design that you can usually find in someone’s conservatory. Since it is made of bamboo, cane furniture easily makes a conservatory seem one with nature with its natural look.
Cane furniture works with a range of interior design trends but needs to be looked after properly so it can stay in the best condition.
- To protect the seat of a cane chair, use a flat cushion or pillow as this will help disperse weight over the surface and ease up pressure on the centre so that breakage is mitigated. This or better yet, consider upholstering a cushion to sit atop the cane chair.
- Make it a habit a rotate your cane furniture regularly around the room to ensure all sides of the furniture is exposed to the sun.
- Another thing you can do to make sure your cane conservatory furniture is in tip-top condition is by monthly moisturising them with an oil or glycerin-based soap that has been diluted in water to work some moisture into the surface. Spray the chair or couch’s back and underside before wiping clean with a rag.
Rattan can be bent and woven into endless designs to mix with many different styles of decor. However, contrary to cane, rattan furniture can be quite delicate so you will need to be careful about how you use it. See these tips below on how to properly maintain your rattan conservatory furniture so it can last for years:
- Clean the furniture regularly with a soft cloth or a spray of furniture polish to remove any buildup of dust or debris.
- Do not drag your furniture as the legs may be damaged or the feet may scratch surfaces.
- If, in time, the rattan starts to look dull and dry, bring it back to its luxurious shine with a small application of linseed oil. Keep applying until the rattan no longer absorbs the oil and wipe away any excess.
- Change the position of your furniture to mitigate the severity of the damage that may be caused by the sun.
The sun’s harsh rays and overexposure can do some serious damage to your upholstery fabric and make your furniture look dull and weary. The good news is, there are many ways to minimise sun damage and slow down any possibility of fading or discolouration.
- Installing blinds in your conservatory can reduce the sun’s exposure to your frames and cushions.
- Just like with wood furniture, it is also advisable to rotate your fabric furniture around the room to ensure an even exposure to the elements.
- Since conservatories let in plenty of sunlight, it is advisable to ensure that any fabrics used for upholstery are fade-resistant. South West Upholstery offer UV resistant fabrics and can upholster any fixed upholstery on your furniture or existing cushions and even supply brand new cushions.
Leather furniture needs extra care since damage caused by sunlight is not only a problem with discolouration but also with cracking and drying which can be difficult to remedy. Fortunately, you can avoid these problems by remembering these things:
- If your leather furniture is next to the conservatory’s wall, limit sunlight exposure by keeping the blinds or curtains closed whenever the room is not in used.
- It is also advisable to keep your leather conditioned and avoid using cleaning products not specifically designed for leather.
- Another simple way is to regularly wipe down your leather furniture and vacuum the creases to prevent dust from building up.
South West Upholstery is a family-run business founded 18 years ago and have steadily grown to become the most recognised upholstery business in Bristol for the quality products and services we offer. From a wide range of upholstery, re-upholstery and soft furnishings to the creation of bespoke furniture, we are your one-stop shop for all your upholstery needs regardless of where you are in the UK. Should you wish to stop by and browse through our products, you can visit us without an appointment needed or call us on 0117 370 2745 / 0117 332 0800 for any enquiries you may have.